|Assoc Prof Dr. Veronica Ng Foong Peng
Ph.D in Architecture (Curtin University)
B.Arch (First Class Honours) (Curtin University)
B. Applied Sc. (Architecture) (Curtin University)
- The history of ideas
- The historical and contemporary ideas of “place” and “space”
- Phenomenology in architecture
- Contemporary Malaysian architecture
- The sense of place (SOP) of small towns and places in Malaysia
- Architectural theory and philosophy, and its manifestations in architecture
- Design methods – diagramming, drawing and making
- Theorisation of contemporary Malaysia architecture
- Poetics of architecture and space
Research Grants Awarded
- Centre for R & D Research Grant 2007-2008. Action Research Project: “Visualising Research through Creative Productions as a Teaching and Learning strategy-A case for Urban Study Tours”.
- TGRS Phase 2/2011 “The Sense of Place (SOP) Project: Clan Jetties, Georgetown”.
- TGRS July 2010: “The Sense of Place (SOP) Project: Sungai Lembing”.
- TGRS Phase 1/2011 Architecture in the Humanities (AITH)
- Perinpasingam, T., Hussain, N., Ng F.P, & Arumugam, N. 2016. “Development of MOOCs module in the Architecture classroom” in Journal of Interdisciplinary Research in Education, Taylor’s University. Vol. 6, Issue 1, 2016, pp. 53-62. Retrieved from: http://www.taylors.edu.my/jire/index.html
- Ng, V. 2013. “Towards a Holistic Understanding of Sense of Place: A Phenomenological Reading of Chew Jetty, Penang In International Journal of Humanities and Social Science”, Vol. 3, No. 20, December 2013, pp. 75-83
- Ng, Veronica. 2012. “Learning Architecture through place-making in the design studio”, in International Journal on Architectural Research. Archnet-IJAR. Volume 7, Issue 1. 2013, pp. 86-98
- Ng, Veronica. 2012. “A critical review on the problematic nature of ‘place’”. British Journal of Arts and Social Sciences. Vol 5, No. 1 ISSN: 2046-9578
- Ng, V. & Niu, Y. H.(11/ 2011). “Glocal architecture: An alternative approach toward defining contemporary Malaysian identity”, in World Architecture. China: World Architecture Magazine Publication, pp 22-27. ISSN: 1002-4832
- Ng. V. & Hussain, N. (11/2011). “Historical development on modern architecture in Malaysia”, in World Architecture. China: World Architecture Magazine Publication, pp. 16-21. ISSN: 1002-4832
- “Design Distinctiveness: Designing for people and place as a way forward”. Conference Proceedings of Malaysian Architectural Education Conference. 4-5 October 2012
- Reflections of learning: An Integrated Portfolio, TARC Teaching & Learning Conference 2010
- Exhibiting Research: The value of integrating Research, Field Trip and Creative Outcomes, TARC Teaching & Learning Conference 2010
- Beyond the Sleepy Hollow: Interpreting the collective cultural heritages of Sungai Lembing, National Conference on the Preservation and Conservation of Heritage, Penang (2010)
- Fabricating Multiple Histories in Heritage Architecture, 3rd Tourism Outlook Conference (2007)
- Lee, M. J. & Ng, F. P. 2012. “Indonesian Airports: A Symbol of Local Representations. Conference Proceedings of International Conference on Sustainable Technology Development. Bali, Udayana University. 31 Oct – 1 Nov 2012.
- Lee, S. Y. & Ng, F. P. 2012. “The Application of Traditional Malay Elements in Modern Museums of Malaysia”. Conference Proceedings of International Conference on Sustainable Technology Development. Bali, Udayana University. 31 Oct – 1 Nov 2012.
- W.T. Kan, V.F. Liew, J.J. Potter, F.P. Ng, S. Srirangam. “Research informs Design: Developing a Master of Architecture Syllabus”. Conference Proceedings of INTED 2011. 7-9 March, Valencia, Spain
- 2015. The power of drawing: Lessons for architecture students, Architecture Malaysia, December 2015, Vol. 27 Issue 6
- 2016. Malaysian-ness!, Architecture 101, Architecture Malaysia, June 2016, Vol 28 Issue 3.
- 2016. Guest Editor, Emerging Voices, Architecture Malaysia, April 2016, Vol 28 Issue 2.
- 2015. Alice Smith School, in Architecture Australia Jul/Aug 2015, pp. 88-93, ISSN 0003-8725. (official magazine for Australia Institute of Architects)
- 2015. Lexus Showroom Ipoh, CUBES, Singapore. Dec/Jan 2015
- 2015. Tembusu House, CUBES, Singapore. Jun/July 2015
- 2014. “Revisiting Tanjong Jara”. Architecture Malaysia, 2014, Vol. 26, Issue 2, pp. 68-71
- 2014. “Architecture Education and the Return to the Humanities”. Architecture Asia, Issue 4 2013, pp. 8-15.
- 2014. “Transitions from then to now; Building, Dwelling, Living: A look at the architecture of Design Collective Architects [DCA]”. Architecture Malaysia, 2014, Vol 26 Issue 1, pp. 80-83
- 2014. “Architecture 101: Reading, Writing & Analysing”. Architecture Malaysia, 2014, Vol 26 Issue 1, pp. 85
- 2013. “Radical & Ready: Critical writing on Practice”, Design + Architecture [d+a], Aug 2013, Issue 075: 2013, pp. 56-60.
- 2013. “The Silent Power of Diagrams”. Architecture Malaysia, Sep 2013, Vol 25 Issue 4, pp. 72-77.
- 2013. “Living with Art: Green+Art+Architecture, Shalini Ganendra Fine Art Gallery Residence, SGFA”. Architecture Malaysia, 2013, Vol 25, Issue 1, pp. 84-89
- 2013. “Transitions: From then to now, WHBC Architects”. Architecture Malaysia. Volume 24, Issue 5, pp. 72-78
- 2013. “Kuala Lumpur Design Forum 2013”. Architecture Malaysia, Sep 2013, Vol 25 Issue 4, pp. 82-83
- 2013. “Datum KL: 2013”. Architecture Malaysia, Sep 2013, Vol 25 Issue 4, pp. 85-89
- 2012. “Living in the Clouds: Being in Cloud Nine. Architecture Malaysia. Pertubuhan Akitek Malaysia. Volume, 24, Issue 4, pp. 26-34.
- 2011. “Three Plus”. Design + Architecture [d+a], Sept 2013, Issue 063: 2011, pp. 28-33.
- Ng, Veronica. 2017. Theorising Emergent Malaysian Architecture. Malaysia: Pertubuhan Akitek Malaysia and Indonesia: IMAJI Books
- Ng, Veronica. 2012. “The Problem of Place: A Foucauldian Analysis and discursive analysis on place”, in 3rd Global Conference: Space & Place. United Kingdom: Inter-Disciplinary.Net
- Ng, Veronica. 2011. Beyond the Sleepy Hollow: Interpreting the collective cultural heritages of Sungai Lembing, in Multifaceted Aspects of Asian Heritage, pp. 43-56
- AKAA Re-visitation Report for Tanjong Jara Resort, commissioned by Aga Khan Awards for Architecture
- SEARCH Journal: Paper title Space, Mobility and Communication (2014)
Awards & Honours
- EMAS Award for Innovation Teaching & Learning in 2012
- The Vice Chancellor for submission to National Academic Award (Anugerah Akademik Negara) in 2012
- Chairman’s Award for Teaching Excellence, Taylor’s University in 2009
- Badan Warisan Malaysia, Mobin Shepperd Memorial Prize Cycle 9 (2010/2011) Category: Measured Drawings; Honorable Mention (Supervisor)
- Member of the Council of Architectural Accreditation and Education Malaysia (CAAEM) 2017-2018
- Media and Publication Committee (Pertubuhan Akitek Malaysia)
- Pertubuhan Akitek Malaysia, Graduate Member, G 2806
- Lembaga Arkitek Malaysia, Graduate Architect, AG/N 279
Committee Members in Professional Bodies
- 2011 – Current Graduate Member, Pertubuhan Akitek Malaysia (PAM)
- 2003 – Current Graduate Member, Lembaga Arkitek Malaysia (LAM)
Committee Member in Pertubuhan Akitek Malaysia (PAM)
- 2012 – Current Pertubuhan Akitek Malaysia (PAM, Media & Publication)
- 2012 – Current Pertubuhan Akitek Malaysia (Architecture Asia Committee)
Member of Editorial Panel
- 2013- Current Architecture Asia (ARCASIA Magazine)
- 2012- Current Architecture Malaysia (PAM Magazine)
Member of Editorial Panel
- Convenor, Live Design Discourse, Kuala Lumpur Architecture Festival, Pertubuhan Akitek Malaysia, 2017.
- Co-convenor, Architecture Asia Awards for Emerging Architects (AAAEA), 2014 and 2016. http://www.emergingarchitects.asia/home/welcome
- Exhibit titled “The Primitive Cube” in Venice Biennale Malaysian themed “Sufficiency” 2014
- Kuala Lumpur Architecture Festival - Involvement in the organization of events for Kuala Lumpur Architecture Festival (Annual Event organized by PAM) such as: DATUM: KL 2013 (Organiser for Architecture Site Visits to Point 92 & Rhombus; d6&d7); DATUM: KL 2012 (Organiser for Architecture Site Visits to SGFA Gallery & Menara Binjai)