|Dr Adeline Chia Yoke Yin
Programme Director - Biomedical Science
Ph.D in Translational Medicine (Monash University),
B.Sc. (Hons) Biotechnology (Monash University).
- Drug discovery & development
- Nutritional & human biochemistry
- Reproductive and endocrinology
- Nutritional biochemistry/molecular biology/endocrinology in health and diseases
- Effect of compounds e.g. glycyrrhizic acid on lipid and carbohydrate metabolism
- Current research: Female reproductive system (diseases and disorders)/Molecular modeling [bioinformatics approaches]
Research Grants Awarded
- GLYCYRRHIZIC ACID AND GLABRIDIN AS AN INTERVENTION THERAPY TO IMPROVE HYPERANDROGENISMS IN POLYCYSTIC OVARIAN SYNDROME CONDITIONS: TAYLOR’S UNIVERSITY RESEARCH GRANT, AMOUNT: RM35,000, START/FINISH: 2013-2015 (PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR)
- DEVELOPMENT OF GLYCYRRHIZIC ACID ANALOGUES TO COMBAT TYPE 2 DIABETES MELLITUS: ERGS, AMOUNT: RM167,000, START/FINISH: 2013-2015 (PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR)
- EFFECTS OF GLYCYRRHIZIC ACID ON INSULIN SENSITIZATION TO PREVENT OBESITY AND DIABETES IN POLYCYSTIC OVARY SYNDROME IN RATS: FRGS, AMOUNT: RM 81,500, START/FINISH: JAN 2011 - JAN 2013 (PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR)
- "ESTABLISHING A RELIABLE/REPRODUCIBLE ASSAY FOR ASSESSING ESTROGENIC ACTIVITY AND (2) TO SCREEN SELECTED EXTRACTS, FRACTIONS AND PHYTOCOMPOUNDS OBTAINED IN A MALAYSIAN PLANT." NATIONAL CENTER FOR DRUG RESEARCH, UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE MALAYSIA. START/FINISH: APRIL 2011 - APRIL 2012
- 11β-HYDROXYSTEROID DEHYDROGENASE IN DIABETES AND METABOLIC SYNDROME: MODIFICATION OF ITS ACTION ON PEROXISOME PROLIFERATOR-ACTIVATED RECEPTOR (PPAR) IN DIFFERENT TISSUE: MOSTI, AMOUNT: RM 120,000, START/FINISH: JULY 2007 – JULY 2009 (PhD STUDENT INVOLVED IN WRITING & CONDUCTING THE GRANT/PROJECT)
- THE CORRELATION OF GASTROINTESTINAL BIOMARKER FROM URINE, BREATH AND BACTERIA CULTURE USING ELECTRONIC NOSE: FRGS, AMOUNT: RM119,200, START/FINISH: SEPT 2015 – AUG 2018 (CO-RESEARCHER)
Peer Reviewed Papers (10 most significant)
- Poh SW, Yong VCP, Chia, Y.Y. (2016) Microarray analysis of estrogen responsive genes in Ishikawa cells by glabridin, BMC Pharmacology and Toxicology (Under Review)]
- Lee JM, BAK Khalid, Chia, Y.Y. (2016) Effects of glycyrrhizic acid on polycystic ovarian syndrome rats by targeting at insulin sensitization and lipid profile, PLOSONE (Under Review)
- Oh DL, Poh SW, Ling SJ, Chia, Y.Y. (2016) Investigation of Glabridin, Glycyrrhizic acid and Glycyrrhetinic acid as Potential Estrogen Receptors Alpha-activating Ligands, Medicinal Chemistry Research (Under Review)
- Ling SJ, Chia YY, Alnajiar BO, Yam WK, Chia, Y.Y. (2016) A Genetic Function Approximation 2D-QSAR Model for PPAR-gamma Agonistic Activity, Medicinal Chemistry Research (Under review)
- Yip HY, Poh SWM, Chia YY (2015) The effects of glycyrrhizic acid and glabridin in the regulation of CXCL5 inflammation gene on acceleration of wound healing. Natural Product Communications, Volume 6 (2), Pages 108–113.
- Soe, H.J. Poh, S.W.M., Chia, Y.Y. (2015) The Combinatory Effects of Glabridin and Tamoxifen on Ishikawa and MCF-7 Cell Lines” MS# P175712. Natural Product Communications, 10(9):1573-6.
- Lee J.M., Chia, Y.Y. (2015) Effects of natural essential oil product in normal diet and high-fat-diet fed rats. International Journal of Medicinal Plants and Alternative Medicine Vol 3(2), pp. 027-036
- Poh, SWM, Visweswaran, N, Yong, VCP & Chia, YY 2015, ‘Estrogenicity of glabridin in Ishikawa cells’, PloS One, vol. 10, no. 3, p. e0121382. (Scopus cited, Impact factor 3.53)
- Lee J.M., Chia, Y.Y. (2013) Therapeutic Effects of Glycyrrhizic Acid, Natural Product Communication. MS: #P123812.
- Poh SWM, Visweswaran N and Chia YY (2013). Estrogenic assessment of Labisia pumila extracts using a human endometrial cell line. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences Vol. 5(2), pp. 448-452.
- Poh SWM and Chia YY (2013). Estrogenic and anti-proliferative activity of water extract of Glycyrhizzic uralensis (licorice root). Accepted for publication by International Journal of Phytomedicine, Manuscript ID -893
- Poh SWM, Visneswaran N and Chia YY (2012) Phytoestrogenic properties of Labisia pumila for use as an estrogen replacement therapy agent, African Journal of Biotechnology. Manuscript number - AJB-12-160
- Chia, Y.Y., Liong, S.Y., Ton, S.H. and Khalid, B.A.K (2012) Amelioration of glucose homeostasis by glycyrrhizic acid through gluconeogenesis rate-limiting enzymes. European Journal of Pharmacology, 677: 197-202.
- Lim, A.W.Y, Chia, Y.Y., Liong, S.Y., Ton, S.H., Khalid, B.A.K. and Sharifah, N.A.S.H. (2009) Lipoprotein Lipase Expression, Serum Lipid and Tissue Lipid Deposition in Orally-administered Glycyrrhizic Acid-treated Rats. Lipids in Health & Disease, 8 (1): Article No. 31.
- Chia, Y.Y, Ton, S.H and Khalid, B.A.K (2009) Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor Gamma (PPARγ), Lipoprotein Lipase (LPL), serum lipid and HOMA-IR in rats given Glycyrrhizic acid. PPAR Research. Volume 2010, Article ID 530265 – doi:10.1155/2010/530265.
- Chia, Y.Y, Ton, S.H and Khalid, B.A.K. (2009) Effects of Glycyrrhizic acid on 11β-Hydroxysteroid Dehydrogenase (11βHSD1 and 2) Activities and HOMA-IR in rats at different treatment periods. Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology and Diabetes. DOI:10.1055/s-002901237703.
- Chia, Y.Y, Ton, S.H and Khalid, B.A.K (2009) Effects of Glycyrrhizic Acid on Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor Gamma (Total PPARγ, PPARγ1, PPARγ2) Expressions and HOMA-IR in rats. Malaysian Journal of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. 17(2): 9-14.
Conference Abstracts/ Proceedings (10 most significant):
- Ling SJ, Oh DL, Poh SWM, Chia YY (2016) Molecular Docking And Ligand Binding Studies Of Glabridin As Estrogen Receptor-Alpha Activating Ligand, 41st Annual Conference Of The Malaysian Society For Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, 17-18th Aug, KL.
- Chia YY (2015) A review on Glycyrrhizic acid and Glabridin – from the metabolic and female reproduction perspective, 27th International Conference of the Korean Society for Molecular and Cellular Biology, Seoul, Korea, Pg 64.
- Lee JM, Khalid BAK and Chia YY (2014) Glycyrrhizic Acid Modulates PCOS Conditions in DHT-induced Rats. 15th IUBMB-24th FAOBMB-TSBMB Conference, 21-26 October.
- Poh SWM, Yong VCP, Navaratnam V and Chia YY (2014) Evaluation on the estrogenicity of glabridin in a human endometrial cell line. 15th IUBMB-24th FAOBMB-TSBMB Conference, 21-26 October.
- Lee JM, Chia YY (2013) Effect of glycyrrhizic acid in glucose and lipid homeostasis in PCOS rats. International Conference of Natural Products, 4-6th March, Selangor.
- Lee, JM, Khalid, BAK and Chia, YY, (2013) Effects of glycyrrhizic acid (GA) in glucose and lipid homeostasis in PCOS female rats. International Conference on Natural Products 2013, 4th-6th March. Pg 104.
- Soe HY, Poh SWM and Chia YY (2013) Combinatory Drugs in Estrogen Replacement Therapy for Women with Breast Cancer: Glabridin, Tamoxifen and Fulvestrant. 38th Ann Concf Malaysian Soc for Biochem and Mol Biol
- Soe HJ, Poh SWM and Chia YY (2013). Combinatory Studies of Glabridin, Tamoxifen and Fulvestrant on Human Endometrium Carcinoma Cells. 24th Intervarsity Biochemistry Seminar 2013, 11th May. Pg76.
- Chia, YY, Chia, YY and Yam, WK, 2013. Molecular docking of glycyrrhizic acid to peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma. 24th Intervarsity Biochemistry Seminar 2013, 11th May. Pg64.
- Yip, HY, Chia, YY and Yam, WK, 2013. Molecular docking of glycyrrhizic acid to peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha. 24th Intervarsity Biochemistry Seminar 2013, 11th May. Pg63
- Poh SWM, Navaratnam V, Chia YY (2012) Estrogenic effects of labisia pumila extracts in human endometrial adenocarcinoma cell line. International Conference of Chinese Medicine, 22 Sept 2012, Kuala Lumpur.
- Poh, SWM, Lee, SYE, Chia YY (2012) Possible use of licorice root extract as a safe estrogen replacement agent. 37th Concf Malaysian Soc for Biochem and Mol Biol. 18-19th July, Kuala Lumpur.
- Chia, Y.Y., Ton, S.H. and Khalid, B.A.K (2009) Relation between peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ (PPARγ), lipoprotein lipase (LPL) and 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (11β-HSD) in rats given glycyrrhizic acid. 34th Ann Concf Malaysian Soc for Biochem and Mol Biol. & 3rd ASEAN Biochemistry Conference, 7-8th Oct, Kuala Lumpur Pg 43. [Oral presentation].
- Chia, Y.Y. (2007) Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor (PPAR) gamma levels in glucose homeostasis and adipogenesis in rats administered with glycyrrhizic acid. The Inaugural Frontiers in Biotechnology Research (Seminar Series).
Other Publications :
- Twilight of the lecture? – New Straits Times (27th December 2015)
- Obesity and Infertility – New Straits Times (8th September 2015)
- Falling Ill Frequently – ONLY HEALTH 2015 (August)
- Sleep Hygiene – ONLY HEALTH 2015 (August)
- Red Wine – ONLY HEALTH Jan/Feb 2013
- Processed vs Organic – ONLY HEALTH Nov/Dec 2012
- Polycystic ovary syndrome - a health topic in females today - ONLY HEALTH Magazine July/Aug 2012
- Dreaded Diabetes - ONLY HEALTH Magazine Mar/Apr 2012
Scholarly Activities/ Industry Experience (10 most significant):
- EXCO and Lifetime member – Malaysian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 2011-current
- EXCO and Lifetime member - BioMedKL
- Biochemical Society UK-Europe, Local ambassador 2011-current
- Panel reviewer for ScienceDomain International, MacroThink.org, Libertas Academica, AcademicJournals.org, Hindawi Publishing Corporation, SciTechnol, BioMed Central, Bioscientifica Ltd, Dove Medical Press, etc.
- Trainer under Teaching & Educational Development, Taylor’s University, 2014 - current
- Lead Secretariat, International Functional Food Conference, 2013
- Committee, International Conference on e-Learning – ICEL 2013 & 2014
- Guest lecture, “What are the latest/ most advanced/most popular recent findings/achievement in bioscience & biotechnology?” Taylor’s College Sri Hartamas 2013
- Principle Investigator/Consultant – Contract research on ‘Anti-hyperlipideamic compounds with Thiallan Bioherbs Sdn Bhd” 2013
Awards & Honours
- Honours Scholarship (Monash University) 2004
- Higher Degree by Research Scholarship (Monash University) 2006-2009
- Outstanding Poster Presentation: 32nd -34th Annual Malaysian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Conference 2007-2009
- 2nd prize winner for the 2010 Merck Young Scientist Award (Bioscience Category)
- Taylor’s University Exemplary Meritorious Academic Staff Award 2013
- Best poster Award 15th IUBMB-24th FAOBMB-TSBMB, International Conference 2014
- Vice-Chancellor’s Award Most Cited Academic 2014
- Gold Award Recipient for Innovative Module Site 2015
- President’s Award (Taylor’s University) 2015
- Anugerah Fasilitator e-Pembelajaran Terbaik [National University Carnival on e-learning (NUCEL 2015)]
- Silver Medal for the Invention, Innovation and Design of ‘Flipped Teaching in Principles of Life Sciences’ [National University Carnival on e-learning (NUCEL 2015)]
- School of Biosciences (SBS) Top 3 Most Active Modules 2015
- Taylor’s University Top 10 Most Active Modules 2015
- Young Scientist Network – Academy of Science Malaysia (YSN-ASM) (member)
- Malaysian Society for Biochemistry & Molecular Biology (Lifetime member/EXCO/Membership Secretary)
- For Women In Science (Registered Member)
- Organization for Woman in Science for the Developing World (Registered Member)
- BioMedKL (Lifetime member & EXCO committee)
- MYBIOMED (Protemp member)
- Malaysian Diabetes Association (Lifetime member)
- Malaysian Endocrine & Metabolic Society (Lifetime member)
- LABORATORY ANIMAL SCIENCE ASOCIATION OF MALAYSIA (LASAM) (Member)
- Biochemical Society (UK) (International Ambassador)