|Dr Chan Sook Wah
Ph.D in Food Technology (University Putra Malaysia)
B.Sc. (Hons) Food Science and Nutrition (UCSI University)
- Functional colorant
- Spray Drying
- Natural products
- Production of functional colorant from natural plants and its application in the food model system.
- Application of spray drying technique for the encapsulation of bioactives and food ingredients.
- Characterization of bioactive compounds in the natural plants.
Research Grants Awarded
- FRGS Grant - RM173,200
Purification and characterization of charantin from Momordica charantia L. and its antidiabetic effects on alloxan-induced diabetic rats.
- TRGS Grant - RM30,000
Application of red pitaya (Hylocereus polyrhizus) powder as a natural functional colorant in the food model system
Peer Reviewed Papers (10 most significant)
- Chan, S. W., Mirhosseini, H., Farah, S. T., Tan, C. L., Imededdine, A. N. and Tan, C. P. (2016). Emulsion formulation optimization and characterization of spray-dried κ-carrageenan microparticles for the encapsulation of CoQ10. Food Science and Biotechnology 25(S): 53-62.
- Chan, S. W., Mirhosseini, H., Farah, S. T., Tan, C. L. and Tan, C. P. (2013). Stability of CoQ10-loaded oil-in-water (O/W) emulsion: Effect of carrier oil and emulsifier type. Food Biophysics 8: 273-281.
- Chan, S. W., Mirhosseini, H., Farah, S. T., Tan, C. L. and Tan, C. P. (2013). Comparative study on the physicochemical properties of κ-carrageenan extracted from Kappaphycus alvarezii (doty) doty ex Silva in Tawau, Sabah, Malaysia and commercial κ-carrageenans. Food Hydrocolloids 30: 581-588.
- Chan, S. W., Lee, C. Y., Yap, C. F., Wan Aida, W. M. and Ho, C. W. (2009). Optimisation of extraction conditions for phenolic compounds from limau purut (Citrus hystrix) peels. International Food Research Journal 16: 203-213.
Conference Abstracts/ Proceedings (10 most significant):
- Chan, S. W. and Tan, C. P., 2012. Characterization of CoQ10-loaded κ-carrageenan microcapsules prepared using spray drying. Abstracts of International Conference on Halal Gums 2012, P04.
- Chan, S. W. and Tan, C. P., 2012. Stability of CoQ10-loaded oil-in-water (O/W) emulsion: Effect of carrier oil and emulsifier type. Abstracts of 16th World Congress of Food Science and Technology: “Addressing Global Food Security and Wellness through Food Science and Technology”
- S. W. Chan, S. H. Mirhosseini, S. T. Farah, and C. P. Tan, 2011. Comparative study on physical properties of κ-carrageenan extracted fromEucheumacottonii in Tawau, Sabah and commercial κ-carrageenan. Abstracts of Universiti Malaysia Terengganu 10th International Anual Symposium (UMTAS 2011), LSP 18.
- Chan, S. W. and Ho, C. W., 2008. Optimization of extraction conditions for phenolic antioxidants from the peels of limau purut (Citrus hystrix). Abstracts of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants Conference (MAPS 2008), FRIM, pg. 13.
Scholarly Activities/Industry Experience (10 most significant)
- Quality Control Assistant in Syarikat Matterhorn Lin Foong (Temerloh) Sdn. Bhd. (Nov 2006 – Dec 2006)
- Tutor in UCSI University (May 2008 – May 2009)
- Research Assistant in University Putra Malaysia (May 2009 – Dec 2009)
- Sessional Lecturer in Monash University, Sunway Campus (July 2013 – Oct 2013)
- Part-time Tutor in Taylor’s University Lakeside Campus (Oct 2013 – Dec 2013)
Awards & Honours
- National Food Innovation & Product Development 2016 (NFIPD 2016) Silver Metal
- Member of Malaysian Institute of Food Technology (Membership: P 01137)
- Member of Institute of Food Technologists (Membership: 00941447)