|Dr Ewe Joo Ann
Programme Director - Food Science with Nutrition
Ph.D in Food Biotechnology (Universiti Sains Malaysia),
B.Tech. (Hons) Food Technology (Universiti Sains Malaysia).
- Probiotics technology
- Oral probiotics
- Dairy science
- Food nutritional analysis
- Development of probiotics as food adjuncts
- Health potential of probiotics fermented foods
- Elucidation of pathways/interactions involved in improving human health by probiotics/probiotics fermented foods via metabolomics approach
- Probiotics and foodomics
Research Grants Awarded
- Development of probiotic-fermented-soy-based orally-dissolving strip for oral health
Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS) (2014-2017)
- Bioactive Potential of Probiotic Fermented Butter
Taylor’s Research Grant (TRGS) (2013-2015)
- Bioconversion of isoflavones by lactobacilli in biotin-soymilk.
USM IPS Graduate Fund (2010)
Peer Reviewed Papers (10 most significant)
- Ewe, JA and SY Loo. 2015. Effect of cream fermentation on microbiological, physicochemical and rheological properties of L. helveticus-butter. Food Chemistry, 201, 29-36.
- Ewe, JA, Ong, JS, Wan Nadiah, WA, Karim, AA and Liong, MT. 2015. Potential ramifications of the effects of sub-lethal ultraviolet B radiation on the three subcultures of Lactobacillus fermentum BT 8312 during fermentation in biotin-supplemented soymilk. Annals of Microbiology, 65, 307-319. DOI: 10.1007/s13213-014-0863-6.
- Ewe, JA, Wan Nadiah, WA, Karim, AA and Liong, MT. 2013. Ultraviolet radiation enhanced growth of lactobacilli and their bioconversion of isoflavones in biotin-supplemented soymilk. LWT- Food Sci Tech, 50, 25-31.
- Ewe, JA, Wan Nadiah, WA, Karim, AA and Liong, MT. 2012. Bioconversion of isoflavones and the probiotic properties of the electroporated parent and subsequent three subcultures of Lactobacillus fermentum BT 8129 in biotin-soymilk. J Microb Biotech, 22, 947-959.
- Ewe, JA, Wan Nadiah, WA, Karim, AA and Liong, MT. 2012. Effects of ultrasound on growth, bioconversion of isoflavones and probiotic properties of parent and subsequent generations of L. acidophilus FTDC 8633 in biotin-supplemented soymilk. Ultrasonics Sonochem, 19, 890-900.
- Ewe, JA, Wan Nadiah, WA, Bhat, R, Karim, AA and Liong, MT. 2012. Enhanced growth of lactobacilli and bioconversion of isoflavones in biotin-supplemented soymilk by electroporation. Int J Food Sci Nutr, 63, 580-596.
- Ewe, JA Wan Nadiah, WA, Rajeev, B, Karim, AA and Liong, MT. 2012. Enhanced growth of lactobacilli and bioconversion of isoflavones in biotin-supplemented soymilk upon ultrasound-treatment. Ultrasonics Sonochem, 19, 160-173.
- Ewe, JA, Wan Nadiah, WA and Liong, MT. 2011. ACE inhibitory activity and bioconversion of isoflavones by Lactobacillus in Soymilk Supplemented with B-vitamins. Br Food J, 113, 1127-1146.
- Ewe, JA, Wan Nadiah, WA and Liong, MT. 2010. Viability and Growth Characteristics of Lactobacillus in Soymilk Supplemented with B-vitamins. Int J Food Sci Nutr, 61(1): 87-107.
- Lye, HS, Kuan, CY Kuan, Ewe, JA, Fung, WY and Liong, MT. 2009. The improvement of hypertension by probiotics: effects on cholesterol, diabetes, rennin and phytoestrogens. Int J Mol Sci, 10, 3755-3775.
Book Chapters (10 most significant):
- Ewe, J.A. and Choo, S.M. 2017. Probiotics As Antibiotic Substitutes. In: Probiotics: Functionalities, Technological aspects, and Applications. (Razafindralambo, H. ed). E-book, OMICS Group International (Book to be accessed on 1st quarter of 2017).
- Ewe, J.A and Yeo, S.K. 2015. Fermented soymilk as neutraceutical. In: Beneficial Microorganisms in Food & Nutraceutical (Microbiology Monograph) (Liong, M.T., ed). Germany: Springer-Verlag GmbH, pp. 133-159.
- Yeo, S.K. and Ewe, J.A. 2015. Effect of Fermentation on the Phytochemical Contents and Antioxidant Properties of Plant Foods. In: Advances in Fermented Foods and Beverages: Improving Quality, Technologies and Health benefits (Holzapfel, W., ed). Cambridge: Woodhead Publishing Limited, pp. 107-122.
- Yeo, S.K., Ewe, J.A, Tham, C.S.C and Liong, M.T. 2011. Carriers of Probiotic Microorganisms. In: Microbiology Monograph on Probiotics (Liong, MT, Ed). Berlin: Springer-Verlag, pp. 191-220.
- Min-Tze Liong, Ting-Jin Lim, Siok-Koon Yeo, Joo-Ann Ewe, and Huey-Shi Lye. 2010. Probiotics and Enteric Cancers. In: Probiotics and Enteric Infections (Koninkx, JFJG, Marinsek-Logar, R and Malago, JJ, eds). Berlin: Springer-Verlag, pp. 399-426.
- Min-Tze Liong, Siok-Koon Yeo, Chiu-Yin Kuan, Wai-Yee Fung and Joo-Ann Ewe. 2009. Antibiotic resistance and probiotics: roles, mechanisms and evidence. In: Antibiotic Resistance (Frank Colombus, Ed.). Hauppauge, New York: Nova Science Publishers, pp. 5-38.
Conference Abstracts/ Proceedings (10 most significant):
- Joo-Ann Ewe, and Yu-Hsuan How. Antioxidant potential and oxidative stability of Lactobacillus helveticus fermented butter over 4 weeks of storage. Proceedings of The 14th ASEAN Food Conference 2015. 24-26 June 2015, Pasay City, Philippines.
- Joo-Ann Ewe and Hui-Xin Tan. 2014. Short term regular intake of probiotic-fermented calcium fortified soy drink on cariogenic bacterial flora in young adults. International Conference on Beneficial Microbes (ICOBM 2014) May 27-29, Penang, Malaysia.
- Joo-Ann Ewe, Wan Nadiah Wan Abdullah, Abdul Karim Alias and Min-Tze Liong. 2013. Growth and bioconversion of isoflavones by electroporated lactobacilli in soymilk. International Functional Food Conference (IFFC 2013) August 18 – 20, Cyberjaya, Malaysia.
- Joo-Ann Ewe, Wan Nadiah Wan Abdullah, Abdul Alias Karim and Min-Tze Liong. 2011. Ultraviolet radiation enhances growth of lactobacilli and bioconversion of isoflavones in soymilk. 6th Asian Conference on Lactic Acid Bacteria (ACLAB6) September 8-10, Sapporo, Japan.
- Joo-Ann Ewe, Wan Nadiah Wan Abdullah and Min-Tze Liong. 2010. Bioconversion of Isoflavones by β-Glucosidase Activity of Probiotics in B-vitamin Supplemented Soymilk. BIT’s 1st Inaugural Symposium on Enzymes and Biocatalysis (SEB 2010) April 22 – 24, Shanghai, China.
- Joo-Ann Ewe, Wan-Nadiah Wan Abdullah and Min-Tze Liong. Effect of B-vitamin supplementation on the growth properties of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium in soymilk. Proceedings of the 11th ASEAN Food Conference 2009. 21-23 Oct 2009, Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei.
Scholarly Activities/ Industry Experience (10 most significant):
- Invited speaker, “Innovation and Technology” at Far Eastern University, Institute of Arts and Sciences, Department of Biology, Manila. 23rd June 2015.
- Sub-committee member: International Conference on Beneficial Microbes (ICOBM 2014)
- Organizing Committee, International Functional Food Conference (IFFC 2013)
Awards & Honours
- Chua Lin Lin, Ewe Joo Ann, Yap Wei Hsum, Yeo Siok Koon, Phelim Yong. 2015. Using the e-learning experience to promote self-directed learning and enhance the development of 21st century skills in Sciences. National University Carnival on E-learning, Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris, Tanjung Malim, Perak, 14-15 December 2015.
- Sanggar Sanjung Award (2013): Awarded for outstanding publications by Universiti Sains Malaysia, Malaysia.
- RIKEN International Program Associate (IPA) (2012-2013): International Joint Graduate School Program, RIKEN, Japan.
- Member, Malaysian Institute of Food Technologist (2013-present)