|Dr Neo Yun Ping
Ph.D in Food Science (University of Auckland)
M.Sc in Food Technology (Universiti Putra Malaysia)
B.Sc. in Food Studies (Universiti Putra Malaysia)
- Food biopolymers
- Phenolic acids profiling
- Active food packaging materials
- Surface modification of food contact materials
- Identification of bioactive components in food
- Functional and bioactive properties of food
Peer Reviewed Papers (10 most significant)
- Neo, Y. P., Perera, C. O., Nieuwoudt, M. K., Zujovic, Z., Jin, J., Ray, S., et al. (2014). Influence of heat curing on structure and physicochemical properties of phenolic acid loaded proteinaceous electrospun fibers. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 62(22), 5163-5172.
- Neo, Y. P., Swift, S., Ray, S., Gizdavic-Nikolaidis, M., Jin, J., & Perera, C. O. (2013). Evaluation of gallic acid loaded zein sub-micron electrospun fibre mats as novel active packaging materials. Food Chemistry, 141(3), 3192-3200.
- Neo, Y. P., Ray, S., Jin, J., Gizdavic-Nikolaidis, M., Nieuwoudt, M. K., Liu, D., & Quek, S. Y. (2013). Encapsulation of food grade antioxidant in natural biopolymer by electrospinning technique: A physicochemical study based on zein–gallic acid system. Food Chemistry, 136(2), 1013-1021.
- Neo, Y. P., Ray, S., Easteal, A. J., Gizdavic-Nikolaidis, M., & Quek, S. Y. (2012). Influence of solution and processing parameters towards the fabrication of electrospun zein fibers with sub-micron diameter. Journal of Food Engineering, 109(4), 645-651.
- Neo, Y.-P., Ariffin, A., Tan, C.-P., & Tan, Y.-A. (2010). Phenolic acid analysis and antioxidant activity assessment of oil palm (E. guineensis) fruit extracts. Food Chemistry, 122(1), 353-359.
- Neo, Y. P., Ariffin, A., Tan, C. P., & Tan, Y. A. (2008). Determination of oil palm fruit phenolic compounds and their antioxidant activities using spectrophotometric methods. International Journal of Food Science & Technology, 43(10), 1832-1837.
- Neo, Y. P., Tan, C. H. & Ariffin, A. (2007).Fatty acid composition of five Malaysian biscuits (cream crackers) with special reference to trans-fatty acids. ASEAN Food Journal, 14 (3).pp. 197-204.
Conference Abstracts/ Proceedings (10 most significant):
- Neo, Y.P., Perera, C., & Jin, J. Electrospinning for encapsulation in food applications: friend or foe? Australia Institute of Food Science & Technology (AIFST) Annual Conference, 14-16th July 2013, Brisbane, Australia.
- Neo, Y.P., Ray, S., Gizdavic-Nikolaidis M., Jin, J.& Quek, S.Y. Encapsulation of gallic acid in zein electrospun sub-micron fibers. XX International Conference on Bioencapsulation, 21-24th September 2012, Orillia, Ontario, Canada.
- Neo, Y. P., Quek, S. Y., Jin, J., Ray, S, & Gizdavic-Nikolaidis, M. Preparation of zein ultrafine fibers as a carrier of antioxidants. New Zealand Institute of Food Science & Technology (NZIFST) Annual Conference, 26-28th June 2012, Hamilton, New Zealand.
- Neo, Y. P., Quek, S. Y., Jin, J., Ray, S, & Gizdavic-Nikolaidis, M. Third generation solid dispersions of gallic acid in electrospun composite sub-micon fibers. 2012 Chemistry Research Showcase. 6th June 2012, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Neo, Y. P., Quek, S. Y., Gizdavic-Nikolaidis, M., Ray, S., Easteal, A. J., & Hemar, Y. Electrospinning of food grade nanofibers. 10th Annual Functional Food Symposium, Functional Foods 2010: Brains, Bounce and Baby Boomers, 16th November 2010, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Neo, Y. P., Quek, S. Y., Gizdavic-Nikolaidis, M., Ray, S., & Easteal, A. J. Electrospinning of gelatin nanofibers. New Zealand Institute of Food Science & Technology (NZIFST) Annual Conference, 23-25th June 2010, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Neo, Y. P, Noorlin, H. M. N., Putri Noor Faizah, M.M.T., Chong, C. L.,& Tan, Y.A. Environmental assessment of palm based cooking oil. National Seminar on Palm Oil Milling, Refining Technology, Quality & Environment 2008. Kota Kinabalu, Sabah.
- Neo, Y. P., Azis, A., Tan, C.P., &Tan, Y.A. Determination of oil palm fruit phenolic compounds and their antioxidant activities using spectrophotometric methods. Product Development and Nutrition session: MPOB International Palm Oil Congress (PIPOC) 2007. Kuala Lumpur (KLCC).
- Neo, Y. P., Azis, A., Tan, C.P., &Tan, Y.A. Phenolic compound in oil palm fruits. Oils and Fats Chemical Technology session: 12th Asian Chemical Congress (ACC) 2007. Kuala Lumpur (PWTC).
Scholarly Activities/ Industry Experience (10 most significant):
- Postdoctoral research fellow in Universiti Malaya (May 2014 – August 2014)
- Graduate teaching assistant in University of Auckland (March 2011 – May 2013)
- Research officer in Malaysian Palm Oil Board (January 2007 – February 2010)
- Research assistant in Universiti Putra Malaysia (June 2005 – January 2006)
Awards & Honours
- The University of Auckland International Doctoral Scholarship (2010-2013)
- Malaysian Palm Oil Board (Graduate Students Assistantship Scheme) (2006-2007)
- Dean’s List Award (Universiti Putra Malaysia, B.Sc Food Studies)
- Student poster competition 1st prize for Annual Functional Food Symposium, Functional Foods (2010)
- MPOB publications award (2008-2010)
- NESTLE prize for B.Sc Food Studies thesis (2005)
- Member of Institute of Food Technologists (IFT)
- Member of Malaysian Institute of Food Technologists (MIFT)
- Member of Bioencapsulation Research Group