|Dr Phelim Yong Voon Chen
Head of School, School of Biosciences
Ph.D in Molecular Medicine (University Putra Malaysia),
B.Sc. (Hons) Biomedical Sciences (University Putra Malaysia).
- Host pathogen interaction
- 2-dimensional electrophoresis
- Elucidation of host response towards fungal infection via proteomics and transcriptomics
- Expression of recombinant proteins as diagnostic markers and immunotherapeutic agents
- Evaluation of natural compounds for antifungal activity
- Metabolic approaches toward understanding of host-pathogen interaction in Cryptococcus neoformans
Research Grants Awarded
- Characterisation and Evaluation of Metabolic Markers for Cryptococcus neoformans infection.MOHE ERGS (2012-2015)
- Fundamental Research Grant Scheme, Project: Elucidating the mechanisms of Cryptococcus neoformans entry into host cells MOHE FRGS. (2010-2013)
- Protein profiling of Cryptococcus neoformans capsule proteins by two-dimensional electrophoresis. Taylor’s Research Grant Scheme (2010)
Peer Reviewed Papers (10 most significant):
- Liew, K.L, Jee, J.M, Yap, I., Yong, P.V.C. (2016) In Vitro Analysis of Metabolites Secreted during Infection of Lung Epithelial Cells by Cryptococcus neoformans. PLOS ONE. 11(4). DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0153356
- Jeevajothi Nathan, J., Mohd Desa, M.N, Navaratnam, P., Palanisamy, N.K., Yong, P.V.C., Wong, E.H. (2016) The emergence of Acinetobacter baumannii ST-6 multidrug resistant: a resilient biofilm producer, Malaysia. Malaysian Journal of Microbiology.
- Choo, K.K., Chong, P.P., Ho, A.S.H., Yong, P.V.C.(2015). The role of host microfilaments and microtubules during opsonin-independent interactions of Cryptococcus neoformans with mammalian lung cells. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases. 1-7
- Poh, S.W., Yong, P.V.C., Navaratnam, V., Chia, Y.Y. (2015). Estrogenicity of Glabridin in Ishikawa Cells. PLOS ONE. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0121382
- Liew, K., Yong, P.V.C., Lim, Y.M., Ho, A.S.H., (2015). Differential proteomic analysis on the effects of 2-Methoxy-1,4-Naphthoquinone towards MDA-MB-231 cell line. Phytomedicine. 22(5):517-527
- Ong, Y.H., Yong, P.V.C., Lim, Y.M., Ho, A.S.H., (2015). 2-Methoxy-1,4-naphthoquinone (MNQ) induces apoptosis of A549 lung adenocarcinoma cells via oxidation-triggered JNK and p38 MAPK signalling pathways. Life Sciences. 135:158–164
- Choo, K.K., Chong, P.P., Ho, A.S.H., Yong, P.V.C.(2015). Effect of Inoculum Size and Culture Age on the Cellular Properties and Host-Pathogen Interactions of Cryptococcus neoformans. British Microbiology Research Journal. 7(2):100-108
- Lee, P.Y., Gam, L.H., Yong, P.V.C., Rosli, R., Ng, K.P. and Chong, P.P. (2014).Immunoproteomic analysis of antibody response to cell wall-associated proteins of Candida tropicalis. Journal of Applied Microbiology. 117(3):854–865
- Saw, S.H, Yong, P.V.C., Ngeow, Y.F. (2014) Generation of differentially regulated genes in Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from cerebrospinal fluid and respiratory secretions using suppression subtractive hybridization. BMC Infectious Diseases. 14(3)
- Lee, P.Y., Yong, P.V.C., Rosli, R., Gam, L.H., and Chong, P.P. (2014). Cloning, expression and purification of squalene synthase from Candida tropicalis in Pichia pastoris. Protein Expression and Purification. 94:15-21
- Lee, P.Y., Gam, L.H., Yong, P.V.C., Rosli, R., Ng, K.P. and Chong, P.P. (2014). Identification of immunogenic proteins of Candida parapsilosis by serological proteome analysis. Journal of Applied Microbiology. 116(4):999-1009
- Liew, K.L., Jee, J.M., Yap, I., Yong, P.V.C. (2015). in vitro analysis of Cryptococcus neoformans infection on lung epithelial cells. Abstract book of the ASEAN Congress on Medical Biotechnology and Molecular Biosciences 2015, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Jeevajothi Nathan, J., Mohd Desa, M.N, Navaratnam, P., Palanisamy, N.K., Yong, P.V.C., Wong, E.H. (2015). Bacterial clearance and cytokine profiles in a rat pneumonia model infected with Acinetobacter baumannii. International Congress of the Malaysian Society for Microbiology.
- Ewe, J.A., Yong, P.V.C.,Vanathas, C., Sidhu, P. (2014). Targeted Approach in Peer Assisted Learning for First Year Experience. 10th National PASS Forum, Wollongong, Australia
- Poh, S.W.M., Yong, V.C., Visneswaran, N.,Chia, Y.Y. (2014). Evaluation on the Estrogenicity of Glabridin in a Human Endometrial Cell Line. Abstract book of 15th IUBMB-24th FAOBMB-TSBMB International Conference, 21-26th October, Taipei, Taiwan, Pg 340.
- Choo, K.K., Chong, P.P., Ho, A.S.H., Yong, P.V.C. (2014). The role of Complement-receptor 3 in non-opsonic invasion of alveolar macrophage cells by Cryptococcus neoformans. Abstract book of the 10th International Mycological Congress, Bangkok,Thailand.
- Liew, K.L., Jee, J.M., Yap, I., Yong, P.V.C. (2014). Metabolic profiling of potential disease progression markers for Cryptococcus neoformans infection. Abstract book of the 10th International Mycological Congress, Bangkok,Thailand.
- Tan, T.M., Choong, Y.S., Yong, P.V.C. (2014). Computational Modeling Of Ras1 As A Potential Target For Farnesol In Cryptococcus Neoformans. Abstract book of National Postgraduate Seminar.
- Liew, K.L., Jee, J.M., Yap, I., Yong, P.V.C. (2013). Metabolic profiling of Cryptococcus neoformans infection in A549 cells. Abstract book of the International Congress of the Malaysian Society of Microbiology.
- Choo, K.K., Chong, P.P., Ho, A.S.H., Yong, P.V.C. (2013). Assessment of Cryptococcus neoformans interaction with mammalian alveolar epithelial and macrophage cells using a microplate-based fluorescence invasion assay. Abstract book of 38th Annual Conference of the Malaysian Society Biochemistry & Molecular Biology.
- Choo, K.K., Law, L.M., Chong, P.P., Ho, A.S.H., Yong, P.V.C. (2013). Cryptococcus neoformans internalization into alveolar macrophage requires effect of host actin and microtubule cytoskeleton, and aberration of phosphoinositide 3-kinase signalling pathways. Abstract book of 38th Annual Conference of the Malaysian Society Biochemistry & Molecular Biology.
- Choo, K.K., Law, L.M., Chong, P.P., Ho, A.S.H., Yong, P.V.C. (2013). Interaction of Cryptococccus neoformans Extracellular Proteins with Host Mammalian Cells. Abstract book of 20th Malaysian Society for Molecular Biology and Biotechnology.
Scholarly Activities/ Industry Experience (10 most significant):
- Associate Dean, Learning and Quality, School of Biosciences, Taylor’s University (Jan 2013- present).
- Associate Dean, Research and Development (Division of Medicine, Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Taylor’s University) (Mac 2011- Dec 2012).
- Module coordinator: Taylor’s University Undergraduate Programme: Eukaryotic Cell Biology (2012-present), Human Molecular Genetics (2012-2013), University of Queensland, Australia Undergraduate Programme: Genes, cells and evolution (2010-2011); Cell structure and function (2010-2011); Genetics (2011).
- Lead auditor SIRIM ISO 9001:2008.
- Invited speaker for Symposium on emerging pedagogies in Sciences and Molecular diagnostic approaches in microbiology, 11-14 March 2015 at Far Eastern University, Philippines.
- Organizer: 2-Dimensional Electrophoresis Workshop- ‘Beginners to advanced users’- 2011 and Strengthening Biological Science Education and Research through Asian Partnership for “Introduction to Molecular Biology Techniques”- 2012.
- Invited speaker for Natural Products Symposium, 12-14th February 2012 at RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia (Mechanism of action of 2-methoxy-1,4-naphthoquinone (MNQ) towards cancer cell metastasis).
- Invited as a resource speaker for Far Eastern University, Philippines, 11-12th July 2012 (An integrated proteomic, genomic and metabolomic approach in host-pathogen research)
- Invited as forum panelist for Molecular Biology Education Symposium at Far Eastern Symposium, Philippines, 11-12th July 2012.
- Invited as guest speaker Biotechnology: What will You Be? Biocareer 2010. 13th November 2010, Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre, Malaysia.
Awards & Honours
- Recipient of SPARK Award and Oscar Award- Taylor’s University- Creative, engaging and effective module site for Eukaryotic Cell Biology- 2015
- Recipient of Young Scientist Programme Travel Fellowship by Malaysian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (MSBMB) and Federation of National Societies of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology in the Asian and Oceanian Region (FAOBMB)- 2015
- Awarded silver medal for National University Carnival on e-Learning for “Engaging students through effective e-marking solution”, “Innovative learning engagement First Year Experience (FYE) students” and “Using the e-learning experience to promote self-directed learning and enhance the development of 21st century skills in Sciences” - 2015
- Recipient of President’s Award- Taylor’s University (Research and Innovation)- 2014
- Recipient of Postgraduate Scholarship (PASCA) from Malaysian Government through the Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment (MOSTI)
- Dean’s Award, six of six semesters, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 2001- 2004
- Golden Key Scholarship Award for outstanding academic merit, 2002
- Pfizer Award for highest overall standing in Biomedical Sciences Undergraduate Programme, 2004
- FFM Bhd Award for highest standing in Pharmacology and Toxicology for Biomedical Sciences Undergraduate Programme, 2004
- International Society for Infectious Diseases (Member)
- Malaysian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (Member)
- Malaysian Society for Microbiology (Member)
- Genetics Society of Malaysia (Life member)