|Dr Toh Gaik Theng
Ph.D in Medical Genome Sciences (The University of Tokyo)
- DNA sequencing
- Time-lapse imaging (mammalian cell culture)
- Tandem Affinity Purification
- Stem cell-based therapy
- Cell cycle regulation
Research Grants Awarded
- In-vitro characterization of human hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs). Taylor’s University Emerging Research Grant Scheme (ERGS) (2014-2015)
Peer Reviewed Papers (10 most significant)
- Gaik Theng Toh and Hisao Masai (2012). Cell division cycle kinase 7-Like 1 (Cdc7L1). UCSD-Nature Molecule Pages. doi:10.1038/mp/a003137.01.
- Kitamura R, Fukatsu R, Kakusho N, Cho YS, Taniyama C, Yamazaki S, Toh GT, Yanagi K, Arai N, Chang HJ and Masai H (2011). Molecular Mechanism of Activation of Human Cdc7 Kinase: Bipartite Interaction with Dbf4/Activator of S Phase Kinase (ASK) Activation Subunit Stimulates ATP Binding and Substrate Recognition. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 286 (26): 23031-23043.
- Gaik Theng Toh and Hisao Masai (2009). Dumbbell former 4 (Dbf4). UCSD-Nature Molecule Pages. doi:10.1038/mp/a000345.01.
- Toh GT, Kang P, Lee S, Lee D, Lee SY, Selamat S, Akmar N, Mohd Taib NA, Yoon S-Y, Yip CH and Teo SH (2008). BRCA1 and BRCA2 Germline Mutations in Malaysian Women with Early-Onset Breast Cancer without a Family History. PLoS ONE 3(4): e2024.
- Thirthagiri E, Lee SY, Kang P, Lee D, Toh GT, Selamat S, Yoon S-Y, Mohd Taib NA, Thong MK, Yip CH and Teo SH (2008). Evaluation of BRCA1 and BRCA2 risk prediction models in a typical Asian country (Malaysia) with relatively low incidence of breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research 10(4): R59.
Conference Abstracts/ Proceedings (10 most significant):
- Gaik Theng Toh and Hisao Masai (2012). Analyses of Expression and Functions of Human Cdc7 Kinase in Cell Cycle Regulation. GCOE Workshop. 21st Feb 2012. Kashiwa Campus, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan.
- Gaik Theng Toh and Hisao Masai (2009). Cell cycle regulation of Cdc7, a kinase regulated by two activators, ASK and ASKL1. Medical Genome Sciences Research Assistant Workshop. 19th Feb 2009. Shirokanedai Campus, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan.
- Gaik Theng Toh, Sayuri Ito, Chika Taniyama, Asako Sakaue-Sawano, Atsushi Miyawaki and Hisao Masai (2008). Dynamics of Cdc7, ASK and ASKL1 in Live Mammalian Cells. The Cell Cycle 2008. 14th - 18th May 2008. Cold Spring Harbor, New York, USA.
- Toh G-T, Kang Peter C-E, Selamat SA, Yoon S-Y, Tan Nancy G-S, Yip C-H and Teo S-H (2005). Molecular Analysis of BRCA1 and BRCA2 in Females with Early Onset Breast Carcinoma (Poster). Regional Conference on Molecular Medicine 2005. 09th – 11th Sept 2005. Hotel Palace of the Golden Horses, Selangor, Malaysia.
- Toh G-T, Kang Peter C-E, Selamat SA, Yoon S-Y, Yip C-H and Teo S-H (2005). BRCA1 and BRCA2 Alterations in Malaysian Women with Early Onset Breast Carcinoma (Poster). “Familial Cancer 2005: Research & Practice” Conference. A combined meeting of kConFab, AOCS, the Family Cancer Clinics of Australia and New Zealand, and the ACCFS. 30th Aug - 03rd Sept 2005. Couran Cove Island Resort, Queensland, Australia.
- Toh G-T, Kang Peter C-E, Selamat SA, Yoon S-Y, Yip C-H, Tan Nancy G-S and Teo S-H (2005). BRCA1 and BRCA2 Sequence Variants Identified in Malaysian Breast Cancer Patients (Poster). HUGO Mutation Detection 2005. VIII International Symposium on Mutations in the Genome. 31st May - 4th Jun 2005. Santorini Island, Greece.
- Gaik Theng Toh, Peter Choon-Eng Kang, Sook-Yee Yoon, Cheng-Har Yip, Nancy Geen-See Tan and Soo-Hwang Teo (2004). Identification of BRCA1 and BRCA2 Sequence Variants among Malaysian Female Breast Cancer Patients (Poster). 17th FAOBMB Symposium/2nd IUBMB Special Meeting/7th A-IMBN Conference. 2nd – 26th Nov 2004. The Imperial Queen’s Park Hotel, Bangkok, Thailand.
Other Publications (10 most significant):
- Gaik Theng Toh (2010). The Tandem Affinity Purification (TAP) procedure for studying protein-protein interactions. Medical Genome Sciences Seminar on Research Methodologies. 22nd Jan 2010. Shirokanedai Campus, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan.
- Toh GT, Oganezova L, Chang SW, Lam CW and Ip PK (2008). VaSmoothie. Novartis International Biotechnology Leadership Camp (International BioCamp 2008). 24th – 27th Oct 2008. Hong Kong Science Park, Hong Kong, China.
- Toh GT, Natsume Y, Kumar A, Arika, Sada, and Mura T (2008). Cansound: Make the World Listen. Novartis Local Biotechnology Leadership Camp (BioCamp Japan 2008). 29th - 30th Aug 2008. Novartis Pharma K.K. Head Office, Tokyo, Japan.
- Gaik Theng Toh (2008). Time-lapse Imaging using Computer-assisted Fluorescent Microscope. Medical Genome Sciences Seminar on Research Methodologies. 10th Jul 2008. Shirokanedai Campus, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan.
Scholarly Activities/ Industry Experience (10 most significant):
- Research Associate at the Cancer Research Initiatives Foundation (CARIF), Malaysia (Oct 2003 – Mar 2007).
Awards & Honours
- The Iwatani Naoji Foundation Scholarship, Japan (2011 – 2012)
- The Japanese Government MONBUKAGAKUSHO (MEXT) Scholarship, JAPAN (2007 – 2010)
- 2nd prize, “Top Individual Performer Award”, Novartis International Biotechnology Leadership Camp (International BioCamp 2008), Hong Kong, China (Oct 2008)
- Recipient of “Award of Merit”, Novartis Local Biotechnology Leadership Camp (Local BioCamp 2008), Tokyo, Japan (Aug 2008)
- “Dean’s List Honours” Award, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia (1998 – 2001)