|Dr Yap Wei Hsum
Programme Director - Biotechnology
Ph.D in Science (University Tunku Abdul Rahman),
B.Sc. (Hons) Biotechnology (University Tunku Abdul Rahman).
- In vitro skin model development
- Inflammation signaling
- Proteomic analyses
- Role of extracellular matrices in regulating inflammation
- Psoriasis in vitro model development
- Regulation of lipids and inflammatory signaling in macrophage foam cell
- Elucidation of the mechanism of action of maslinic acid, a natural pentacyclic triterpene
Research grants awarded
- Evaluating the mechanism of maslinic acid in monocyte recruitment and foam cell macrophage formation: Regulatory effect of NF-κB and Nrf2. Fundamental Research Grant Scheme; 2015 - 2018
- Development and characterization of human fibroblast-derived matrices-based human skin equivalent as a novel in-vitro psoriatic model for drug testing. Taylor’s Major Grant Scheme; 2015 - 2017
- Elucidating the Molecular Mechanisms of Interaction Between Maslinic Acid and Secreted Phospholipase A2 and its Effect in Regulating Inflammatory Response. Taylor’s Research Grant Scheme; 2014 - 2015
Peer Reviewed Papers (10 most significant)
- Yap, W.H., Ahmed, N. & Lim, Y.M. (2016) Inhibition of Human Group IIA-Secreted Phospholipase A2 and THP-1 Monocyte Recruitment by Maslinic Acid. Lipids doi:10.1007/s11745-016-4186-1
- Yap, W. H. and Lim Y. M. (2015) Mechanistic Perspectives of Maslinic Acid in Targeting Inflammation. Biochem Res Int, 2015:279356.
- Mooi, L. Y., Yew, W. T., Hsum, Y. W., Soo, K. K., Hoon, L. S., Chieng, Y. C. (2012). Suppressive Effect of Maslinic Acid on PMA-induced Protein Kinase C in Human B-Lymphoblastoid Cells. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 13, 1177-1182.
- Yap, W. H., Khoo, K. S., Lim, S. H., Yeo, C.C., Lim, Y. M. (2012). Proteomic analysis of the molecular response of Raji cells to maslinic acid treatment. Phytomedicine, 19, 183-191.
- Yap, W. H., Khoo, K. S., Ho, A. S. H., Lim, Y. M. (2012). Maslinic acid induces HO-1 and NQO1 expression via activation of Nrf2 transcription factor. Biomedicine and Preventive Nutrition, 2, 51-58.
- Hsum, Y. W., Yew, W. T., Lim, P. V. H., Soo, K. K., Hoon, L. S., Chieng, Y. C., Mooi, L. Y. (2011). Cancer chemopreventive activity of maslinic acid: suppression of COX-2 expression and inhibition of NF-κB and AP-1 activation in Raji cells. Planta Med. 77, 152-157.
Conference Abstracts/ Proceedings (10 most significant):
- Yap WH., Nafees A, Lim YM. Investigating the interaction between maslinic acid and sPLA2-IIA and its effect in THP-1 cell differentiation and migration. 14th Federation of Asian and Oceanian Biochemists and Molecular Biologists (FAOBMB) Congress. Hyderabad, India. on 24-30 November 2015
- Yap WH, Bibi ILM, Nafees A. Elucidating the molecular mechanisms of interaction between maslinic acid and human Group V-secreted phospholipase A2 (hGV-sPLA2). Joint Malaysia-UK Symposium on Natural Product Chemistry and Drug Discovery. International Medical University, Kuala Lumpur. on 13th December 2014
- Yap WH and Lim YM. Maslinic acid regulates cell survival signaling in Raji cells. 2nd Asian Regional Conference on Systems Biology Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on 8 - 9 October, 2013.
- Yap WH and Lim YM. Maslinic acid induces heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1) and NAD(P)H: quinone-oxidoreductase-1 (NQO1) via activation of Nrf2. 15th Biological Science Graduate Congress, Universiti Malaya, Malaysia on 15-17 December 2010.
- Liew K, Wong TY, Yap WH, Lim CK, Ho ASH, and Lim YM. An Iinvestigation on the regulatory effects of DMCG, MNQ, β-Amyrin towards the PKC and NF-κB signalling pathways in human Burkitt's Lymphoma cell line (Raji cells). 35th Annual Conference of the Malaysian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on 27-28 July 2010.
- Yap WH, Khoo KS, Lim SH, Yeo CC, and Lim YM. Suppressive effect of Maslinic acid on COX-2 expression and NF-κB activation in Raji cells. TWAS Regional Young Scientists Conference. Petaling Jaya, Malaysia on 2-5 November 2009.
- Yap WH, Paul LVH, Khoo KS, Lim SH, Yeo CC, and Lim YM. Cancer chemopreventive activity of maslinic acid: A pharmacoproteomic approach using 2D SDS-PAGE coupled with MALDI-TOF-TOF-MS analysis. 34th Annual Conference of the Malaysian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, and 3rd ASEAN Biochemistry Conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, on 7-8 October 2009.
- Yap WH, Wong TY, Paul LVH, Khoo KS, Lim SH, Yeo CC, and Lim YM. Identification and evaluation of potential anti-tumour promoting compounds from tubers of Coleus tuberosus. International PSE Symposium on Natural Products in Cancer Therapy, Florence, Italy, on 23-26 September 2008.
Awards & Honours
- Federation of Asian and Oceanian Biochemists and Molecular Biologists (FAOBMB) Young Scientist Program-Travel Fellowship, November, 2015
- Joint Malaysia-UK Symposium on Natural Product Chemistry and Drug Discovery– Best poster award
- 34th Annual Conference of the Malaysian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, and 3rd ASEAN Biochemistry Conference – Best poster award
- “President’s List Honours” Award, Faculty of Science, Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman (2005-2007)