|Dr Yeo Siok Koon
Ph.D in Food Biotechnology, Universiti Sains Malaysia,
B. Tech (Hons) in Food Technology, Universiti Sains Malaysia.
- Food analyses
- Microbiological analyses
- Development of probiotics and/or prebiotics dietary adjunct
- Determination of health beneficial properties of fermented food
Research Grants Awarded
- Growth Properties of Lactobacilli and Bifidobacteria and Bioconversion of Isoflavones in Soymilk Supplemented with Prebiotics. USM-IPS Research Fund Grant (2009-2010).
Peer Reviewed Papers (10 most significant)
- Yeo, S.K., Ooi, L.G., Lim, T.J. & Liong, M.T. (2009). Antihypertensive properties of plant-based prebiotics. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 10(8), 3517–3530.
- Yeo, S.K. & Liong, M.T. (2010). Angiotensin I-converting enzyme inhibitory activity and bioconversion of isoflavones by probiotics in soymilk supplemented with prebiotics. International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, 61(2), 161-181.
- Yeo, S.K. & Liong, M.T. (2010). Effect of prebiotics on viability and growth characteristics of probiotics in soymilk. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 90(2), 267-275.
- Yeo, S.K. & Liong, M.T. (2011). Effect of ultrasound on the growth of probiotics and bioconversion of isoflavones in prebiotic-supplemented soymilk. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 59 (3), 889-897.
- Yeo, S.K. & Liong, M.T. (2012). Enhanced growth and bioconversion of isoflavones in prebiotic-soymilk fermented by UV-treated lactobacilli and bifidobacteria. International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, 63, 566-579.
- Yeo, S.K.& Liong, M.T. (2012). Electroporation enhances growth of lactobacilli and bifidobacteria and bioconversion of isoflavones in mannitol-soymilk. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 93, 396-409.
- Yeo, S.K. & Liong, M.T. (2012). Effect of ultrasound on bioconversion of isoflavones and probiotic properties of parent and subsequent generations of Lactobacillus. LWT-Food Science and Technology, 51, 289-295.
- Yeo, S.K. & Liong, M.T. (2012) Effect of Sublethal Ultrasound, Electroporation and UV radiations in bioprocessing. Annals of Microbiology, 68, 813-824.
- Kim, H.W., Lee, A.Y., Yeo, S.K., Chung, H., Lee, J.H., Hoang, M.H., Jia, Y.Y., Lee, S.J., Kim, Y.S. (2013) Metabolomic profiling and biological mechanisms of body fat reduction in mice fed the ethanolic extract of black-colored rice. Food Research International, 53. 373-390.
- Lee, A.Y., Yeo, S.K., Lee, J.H., Kim, H., Jia, Y., Hoang, M.H., Chung, H., Kim, Y.S., Lee, S.J. Lee (2013) Hypolipidemic effect of Goami-3 rice (Oryza sativa L. cv. Goami-3) on C57BL/6 mice is mediated by the regulation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha and -gamma. Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, 24, 1991-2000.
Book Chapters (10 most significant):
- Liong, M.T., Yeo, S.K., Kuan, C.Y., Fung, W.Y. and Ewe, J.A. (2009). Antibiotic resistance and probiotics: roles, mechanisms and evidence. In: Antibiotic Resistance (Frank Colombus, Ed.). Hauppauge, New York: Nova Science Publishers, pp. 5-38.
- Liong, M. T., Lye, H.S., Yeo, S.K., Ewe, J.A. and Lim, T.J. (2010). Probiotics and enteric cancers. In: Probiotics and Enteric Infections (Koninkx, J.F.J.G., Marinsek-Logar, R. and Malago, J.J., Eds). Berlin: Springer-Verlag, pp. 399-426.
- Yeo, S.K., Ewe, J.A, Tham, C.S.C and Liong, M.T. (2011). Carriers of Probiotic Microorganisms. In: Microbiology Monograph on Probiotics (Liong, M.T., Ed). Berlin: Springer-Verlag, pp. 191-220.
Conference Abstracts/ Proceedings (10 most significant):
- Yeo, S.K. & Liong, M.T. (2009). Growth characteristics of probiotics in soymilk supplemented with prebiotics. 11th ASEAN Food Conference 2009. October 21-23, Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei.
- Yeo, S.K. & Liong, M.T. (2010). β-Glucosidase Activity of Probiotics in Soymilk Supplemented with Prebiotics, BIT’s 1st Inaugural Symposium on Enzymes and Biocatalysis (SEB 2010), April 22 – 24, Shanghai, China.
- Yeo, S.K. & Liong, M.T. (2009). Effect of Prebiotics on the growth properties of probiotics in soymilk. 5th Probiotics, Prebiotics & New Foods, September 13-15, Rome, Italy.
- Yeo, S.K. & Liong, M.T. (2010). Alpha-Galactosidase Activities of Probiotics and Their Effects on Growth Properties in Prebiotic Soymilk. BIT’s 1st Inaugural Symposium on Enzymes and Biocatalysis (SEB 2010) April 22 – 24, Shanghai, China.
Scholarly Activities/ Industry Experience (10 most significant):
- Judge (Food Science) in 8th Food Sciences and Technology Seminar, UniSZA, Terengganu.
- Judge in International Functional Food Conference, Cyberview Resorts, Cyberjaya.
- Post-Doctoral Researcher (Food Biomedical), Korea University, Seoul, Malaysia.
Awards & Honours
- USM Fellowship (2009-2011): Awarded for the postgraduate studies (PhD by Research) by University Sains Malaysia, Malaysia.
- Sanggar Sanjung Award (2012): Awarded for outstanding publications by University Sains Malaysia, Malaysia.
- Professional member, Malaysian Institute of Food Technology