|Assoc Prof Dr Toney K. Thomas
Head (School of Hospitality & Leisure Management)
Ph.D in Tourism Management (Indira Gandhi National Open University, India)
Master of Philosophy in Tourism (M.Phil-by Research) (Pondicherry Central University, India)
- Research Methods
- Tourism Geography
- Destination Benchmarking
- Destination Development Studies
- Benchmarking Tourism
- Tourism Development and Implications
- Tourism Data Analysis and Case Studies
Research and Consultancy Projects
- ASM Mega Science 3.0: Tourism Sector Study, Ministry of Science, Technology & Innovation, Malaysia with Academi Sains Malaysia - 2015-2050 (2015-2016)
- Provision of Tourism Training for Vietnamese Tourism Administrators in ASEAN country to the Socially Responsible Tourism Capacity Development Programme (ESRT), European Union, (2013-2015)
- Automated Tourism & Travel Training Centre at University of Gondar, DIF, World Bank & Ministry of Education, Ethiopia (2006).
- Sustainable Tourism Development in Wayanad, DTPC, State Government of Kerala, India, 2001
Peer Reviewed Papers
- Nair. V, Badarudin, M, Thomas, T. (2016). Conclusions: How can the Tourism Industry Respond to the Global Challenges Arising from Cimate Change and Environmental Degradation, Worldwide Hospitality and Tourism Themes, emeraldinsgight, 8 (5), 606-610 [SCOPUS]
- Matthew, A.G, Thomas, T. (2016). Consumers’ value assessment on location based service application as a mobile marketing tool, International journal of business and applied science, 2(3), 50-59.
- Matthew, A.G, Thomas, T. (2016). Consumers’ Attitude towards location-based advertising: An exploratory study, Journal of Research in Marketing, 6(1), 390-396.
- Thomas, T. (2015). Measuring Community Impact Assessment for Internal Destination Performance Evaluation in an Exploring Tourist Destination, Atna Journal of Tourism Studies, 10 (1), 53-71
- Mothiravally, V., Siosen, A., Baloch, M. G., Thomas, T. & Geetha, S. (2014). Attitude and perception of visually impired travelers: A case of Klang Valley, Malaysia. Procedia- Social and Behavioural Sciences, Elsevier,144, 366-377.
- Nair, K.P., & Thomas,T (2013). Sustnable Tourism Policies and Practices in Malaysia, Mondes Du Tourism N (8), 60-69.
- Thomas, T. (2013). Conceptualizing Destination Performance Evaluation for Internal Destination Benchmarking: A Review, Atna Journal of Tourism Studies, 9 (1), 17-35
- Thomas, T. (2011). Benchmarking Tourist Destination: Concept to Practice in Developing Economy. International Journal of Culture and Tourism Research, 4(1), 131-142.
- Nair, K. P., & Thomas, T. (2011). Sustainable Tourism in Malays
- Thomas, T. Jacob, R. (2001). Host Perception on Tourism: A Study in Kerala, New Approaches in Tourism Management, Abhijeet, New Delhi.
- Thomas, T. (2014). Measuring Cognitive Indices of Tourist Satisfaction for Internal Destination Performance Evaluation in an Exploring Tourist Destination, 32 EuroCHRIE Conference, Dubai, UAE, 6-9 October 2014.
- Thomas, T. (2013). BEST-EN Think Tank XIII, Modeling the Index Components of Tourist Satisfaction for Destination Performance Evaluation: A study on Kerala Tourism, Malaysia
- Thomas, T. (2011). Unexpected Influence of Tourism in the Vulnerable Economic Region: The impact of Tourism on Native Community and Primary Economic Sector, 5th International Conference on Responsible Tourism in Tourist Destination, ICRT, Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
- Thomas, T. (2012). Benchmarking Destination Challenges and Opportunities, 2nd Interdisciplinary Tourism Research Conference (ANATOLIA), Fathiye, Turkey, 24-29 April 2012
- Thomas, T. (2011).Tourism for Vibrant Young, Stylish Elder and Euphoric Disabled, 2nd Tourism Destination Development Conference, Realizing Full Potential for Effective Execution, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Thomas, T. (2009). “Rural Tourism in the Vulnerable Economy” CAUTHE Conference, Fremantle, Western Australia, 10-13th February
- Thomas, T. (2008) “Wanderlust and Sunlust in the Sensitive Tourist Destination” 9th International Joint World Cultural Tourism Conference, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, South Korea 14-16 November 2008
- Chan, W, Thomas, T. (2014). The Influence of Online Marketing on Generation Y Tourists’ Perception: A Study on Tourism in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 12th APacCHRIE conference 2014, Taylor’s University, Malaysia, 21-24 May 2014
- Wee, V, Thomas, T, Mura,P. Serviced Apartments- A Critical Analysis if its Present and Future Trends, 6th Asia Euro Conference, IITTM, India, 9-12 November 2016.
- Jacob, R. Thomas, T. 2016, Measuring Cognitive Indices of Tourist Satisfaction for Internal Destination Performance Evaluation in an Exploring Tourist Destination, 6th Asia Euro Conference, IITTM, India, 9-12 November 2016.
- Romy, A, Thomas, T. 2015, Cognitive Fear of Outbound Tourists in the Event of Tragedies: Impact on Tourism Participation, 21 APTA Conference, Taylor’s University, Malaysia, 14-17May 2015
Scholarly Activities/Industry Experience
- Visiting Faculty, Scholar in Residency, Erudite Scheme, Kerala State Higher Education Council, India, 2015.
- Senior Visiting Faculty, Pazhassi Raja College, Pulpally, Wyanad, Kerala, India 2015 – Present
- Visiting Faculty, School of Tourism Studies, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kerala, India, 2005-Preset
- Seminar on Accessible Tourism, 2017, Ministry of Tourism and Culture, Malaysia [Keynote Speaker]
- International Seminar on Traditional Medicine and Wellness tourism, 2017, Pazhassi Raja College, Wayanad, India [Keynote Speaker]
- Methodological Approaches in Tourism Research, 2017, Indian Institute of Tourism & Travel Management (IITTM), Gwalior [Seminar]
- Examiner, Postgraduate Programme, Central Queensland University, Australia
- International symposium on “Fostering Tourism for Global Peace: Opportunities & Challenges” in collaboration with International Institute for Peace through Tourism (IIPT), 2016, SOA University, Bhuvaneswar [Guest Speaker]
- Co-Chair, 6th Asia Euro Conference 2016, Taylor’s University and University de Toulouse Le Mirail and IITTM, 2016.
- Future Leaders Forum- Project Based Learning, 2010, IMEX, Frankfurt, Germany [Guest Speaker]
- Chairman, 4th Asia Euro Conference 2013, Taylor’s University and University de Toulouse Le Mirail
- Trainer, Strategies for Successful Destination Marketing, 2008, Commonwealth Tourism Centre, Malaysia
- Trainer, Policies, Strategies for Sustainable Tourism Development, 2007, Commonwealth Tourism Centre, Malaysia
Awards & Honours
- Face of the Future 2010, PATA- (Pacific Asia Travel Association) International Award.
- President’s Award, Excellence in Research & Innovations, Taylor’s University, 2013.
- Chairman’s Award for Excellence (Teaching and Learning Category), Taylor’s University, 2010
- Outstanding Scientist in the Field of Management: VIFRA, Foundation, India 2015
- Letter of Appreciation, United Nation’s Economic Commission for Africa, 2010.
- Asia Pacific Tourism Association (APTA)
- Tourism Educators Association of Malaysia (TEAM)