|Dr Low Bin Seng
Assessment Coordinator – Phase I
Ph.D. (Universiti Sains Malaysia)
M.Sc. (Pharmaceutical Chemistry) (Universiti Sains Malaysia)
B.Sc. (Hons) Biochemistry (University Putra Malaysia)
- Analytical chemistry
- Drug development
- Public health surveillance
- Conduct in vitro and in vivo experimental studies with parametric/non-parametric statistical analysis.
- Perform pharmaceutical and herbal sample analysis using high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC).
- Traditional herbal product development following Good Manufacturing Practice and National Pharmaceutical Control Bureau registration.
- Epidemiological study on occupational, safety and health topics
Peer Reviewed Papers
- Kit-Lam Chan, Bin-Seng Low, Chin-Hoe Teh and Prashanta K. Das (2009). The effect of Eurycoma longifolia on sperm quality of male rats. Natural Product Communications 4(10): 1331-1336.
- Low, Bin-Seng, Teh, Chin-Hoe, Yuen, Kah-Hay, Chan, Kit-Lam (2011). Physico-chemical effects of the major quassinoids in a standardized Eurycoma longifolia extract (Fr 2) on the bioavailability and Pharmacokinetic properties, and their implication for oral antimalarial activity. Natural Product Communications 6(3): 337-341.
- Bin-Seng, Low, P.K. Das, Kit-Lam Chan. (2013) Standardized quassinoid-rich Eurycoma longifolia extract improved spermatogenesis and fertility in male rats via the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 145: 706-714.
- Bin-Seng Low, Sy-Bing Choi, Wahab, Habibah Abdul, Prashanta Kumar Das, Kit-Lam Chan. (2013) Eurycomanone, the major quassinoid in Eurycoma longifolia root extract increases spermatogenesis by inhibiting the activity of phosphodiesterase and aromatase in steroidogenesis. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 149: 201-207.
- Bin-Seng Low, Prashanta Kumar Das, Kit-Lam Chan. (2014) Acute, reproductive toxicity and two-generation teratology studies of a standardized quassinoid-rich extract of Eurycoma longifolia Jack in Sprague-Dawley rats. Phytotherapy Research, 28: 1022–1029, DOI: 10.1002/ptr.5094
- Silvanathan, Saranyaa, Low, Bin Seng. (2015) Current public awareness on the safety of traditional and complementary medicines (T&CM) in Malaysia. European Journal of Integrative Medicine 7: 184 – 189. DOI: 10.1016/j.eujim.2014.12.003
- Tong, K-L, Sazaly A-B, Chan, K-L, Low, B-S, Ma, H-Q & Wong, P-W. (2015). The in vitro and in vivo anti-cancer activities of a standardized quassinoids composition from Eurycoma longifolia on LNCaP human prostate cancer cells. PLoS One 10(3): e0121752. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0121752
- Yeng Chen, Wai-Mei Phang, Alan Kang-Wai Mu, Choon-Keat Chan, Bin-Seng Low, Sreenivasan Sasidharan, Kit-Lam Chan. (2015) Decreased expression of alpha-2-HS glycoprotein in the sera of rats treated with Eurycoma longifolia extract. Frontiers in Pharmacology, 6: 211. DOI: 10.3389/fphar.2015.00211
- Lee, Yen-Sen, Low, Bin-Seng. (2016) Sleep pattern and health among electronic devices users and its relationship with users’ practice in Malaysia university community. Sleep and Biological Rhythms, 14: 271 – 277. DOI 10.1007/s41105-016-0052-z
- Hai-Qiu Ma, Bin-Seng Low, Kit-Lam Chan, Nurzalina Abdul Karim Khan. (2017) Lignans of Phyllanthus niruri solid dispersion: a potential alternative gout therapy. International Journal of Pharmacology, 13: 11 – 21. DOI: 10.3923/ijp.2017.11.21
- Low, B.S., Vikneswaran, M., Tan, S. and Chan, K.L. (2002) Antifertility effect of Andrographis paniculata in rats. MPS Pharmacy Scientific Conference, Penang, Malaysia, 31 October – 2 November.
- Low, B.S., Vikneswaran, M., Tan, S., Choo, C.Y., Das, P.K. and Chan, K.L. (2003) Spermatogenic fertility studies of Eurycoma longifolia Jack (Tongkat Ali) extract. MPS Pharmacy Scientific Conference, Selangor, Malaysia, 10-12 October.
- B S Low, H Q Ma, C H Teh, K H Yuen, K L Chan (2009) Bioavailability and Pharmacokinetic Studies of the three bioactive quassinoids from Eurycoma longifolia Jack. 4th Asian Association of School of Pharmaceutical Sciences-MPS Pharmacy Scientific Conference, Penang, Malaysia, 10-13 June. ISSN 1675-3666
- H.Q. Ma, B.S. Low, C.H. The, K.L. Chan (2009) Eurycomanol, a reference marker for the quality control of commercial Tongkat Ali preparation. 4th Asian Association of School of Pharmaceutical Sciences-MPS Pharmacy Scientific Conference, Penang, Malaysia, 10-13 June. ISSN 1675-3666
- Bin Seng Low, Prashanta K Das, Kit-Lam Chan (2010) Reproductive toxicity and teratological studies of standardized Eurycoma longifolia extract on rats. International Conference on Natural Products, Penang, Malaysia, 10-12 December. ISSN 1675-7319
- Bin-Seng Low, Prashanta K Das, Kit-Lam Chan (2012) The effects of a standardized quassinoid-rich root extract of Eurycoma longifolia Jack on rat spermatogenesis. 26th Scientific Meeting of Malaysian Society of Pharmacology & Physiology, Penang, Malaysia, 18-20 May.
- Kit Lam Chan, Hai Qiu Ma, Bin Seng Low (2012) Developing a validated HPLC phytochemical assay of Eurycoma longifolia and comparative studies on rat spermatogenesis between the organic and aqueous standardised extracts. 24th FAPA Congress, Bali, Indonesia, 13-16 September.
- Kit-Lam Chan, Bin Seng Low and Sue San Ho (2008). Polar Organic Extract of Eurycoma longifolia. World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) Patent No. WO2008/018785A1.
- Kit-Lam Chan, Bin Seng Low and Sue San Ho (2009). Polar Organic Extract of Eurycoma longifolia. Korea Patent No. kr1020090037848.
- Kit-Lam Chan, Bin Seng Low and Sue San Ho (2010). Polar Organic Extract of Eurycoma longifolia. United States Patent No. US 2010/0221370 A1
- Kit-Lam Chan, Bin Seng Low and Sue San Ho (2012). Polar Organic Extract of Eurycoma longifolia. Malaysia Patent No. MY-146000-A.
Scholarly Activities/Industry Experience
- Judge for the International Postgraduate Research Awards Seminar (InPRAS) 2016, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, dated 7th – 8th March 2016.
- Judge for Research Symposium for the Malaysian Medical Students Summit 2016, SEGi University, Kota Damansara, 23rd – 24th July 2016.
Awards and Honours
- Silver medal in BioInno Awards 2008, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Eurycomafeon for potential improvement of male and female infertility.
- Gold medal in International Trade Fair Ideas-Inventions-New Products (iENA 2009) Nuremberg, Germany. Eurynone: a potential herbal-based antimalarial product.
- USM Sanggar Sanjung Award 2009. Research Product category.
- Second Runner-up of The Best Oral Presenter in 26th Scientific Meeting of Malaysian Society of Pharmacology & Physiology, Penang, Malaysia, 18-20 May 2012.
- Research Excellence and Best Thesis Award 2013, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia.
- USM Sanggar Sanjung Award 2014. For excellent achievement in category of patent for the year 2012.
- USM Persada Kencana Award 2014. For excellent achievement in category of best thesis for the year 2013.