|Emeritus Professor Dr P.T. Thomas
Executive Dean, Faculty of Health & Medical Sciences
Bachelor of Pharmacy, MS(Pharmacology), PhD(Pharmacology)
- Pharmacy Practice
- Quality use of medicines
- Cost of medicines
- Use of medicines by/in the elderly
Scholarly Activities / Industry Experience
- Appointed as member of the Pharmacy Board of Malaysia by the Minister of Health Malaysia from 1st July 2016 till 30th June 2019.
- Member of US-based Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education, International Services Program Advisory Group since July 2014. First and only Malaysian.
- Member of the Advisory Board of Jeffrey Cheah School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Monash University (2011 – 2014, 2015 – 2018)
- Appointed by Director-General of Health Malaysia as Chairman of the Joint Technical Committee for Accreditation of Pharmacies, Pharmacy Board of Malaysia (1 April 2016 – 31 March 2019).
- Visiting Professor at Mahidol University, Thailand from June to September 2013.
- Promoter for the pioneering E-Farmasi Project, funded under the Demonstrator Application Grant Scheme (DAGS) of the National Information Technology Council
- Lecturer at Faculty of Pharmacy, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia from 1996 till 2013
- Pharmacist at Ministry of Health from 1977 till 1996
- From 2012 onwards
- Jun Yang Lee, Carina Ka Yee Chan, Siew Siang Chua, Chirk Jenn Ng, Thomas Paraidathathu, Kenneth Kwing-Chin Lee & Shaun Wen Huey Lee. 2016. Intervention for Diabetes with Education, Advancement and Support (IDEAS) study: protocol for a cluster randomized controlled trial. BMC Health Services Research 16:524. DOI:10.1186/s12913-016-1782-y
- Faridah Aryani Md Yusof, Shaun Wen Huey Lee, Siew Siang Chua, Li Ching Kok, Benny Efendie,, Thomas Paraidathathu. 2016. Chronic care model in primary care: can it improve health-related quality of life? Integrated Pharmacy Research and Practice 5: 11–17
- Nurul-Ain Mohd Tahir, Paraidathathu Thomas & Shu-Chuen Li. 2015. Challenges and opportunities in integrating complementary and alternative medicine into mainstream of the Malaysian healthcare system. Tang (Humanitas Medicine): 5(4):1-6
- Nurul-Ain Mohd Tahir, Thomas Paraidathathu & Shu-Chuen Li. 2015. Quality use of medicine in a developing economy: Measures to overcome challenges in the Malaysian healthcare system. SAGE Open Medicine. DOI:10.1177/2050312115596864.
- Ong Aik Liang, Ponnusamy Subramaniam & Thomas Paraidathathu. 2015. Membership rate, perception and awareness of their professional association among newly licensed pharmacists. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sc. 7(2):48-51.
- Norazrina Azmi, Adliah Mhd Ali, Xiao-Lian Wong, Endang Kumolosasi, Jamia Azdina Jamal & Thomas Paraidathathu. 2014. Internal factors affecting academic performance among pharmacy students in Malaysian institutions of higher learning. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research. 48(3):26- 33.
- Rohit Kumar Verma & Thomas Paraidathathu. 2014. Herbal medicines used in the traditional Indian medicinal system as a therapeutic treatment option for overweight and obesity management: A review. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sc. 6(2):40-47.
- Nur Sufiza Ahmad, Farida Islahudin & Thomas Paraidathathu. 2014. Factors associated with good glycemic control among patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Journal of Diabetes Investigation 5: 563-569.
- Pei Feng Chong and Thomas Paraidathathu. 2013. Effects of a Nutrition Support Team on Clinical Outcomes, Metabolic Complications and Electrolyte Abnormalities in Patients Receiving Parenteral Nutrition. Asia- Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition 22(4): 548-556.
- Nur Sufiza Ahmad, Azuana Ramli, Farida Islahudin & Thomas Paraidathathu. 2013. Medication adherence in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus treated at primary health clinics in Malaysia. Patient Preference and Adherence 7: 525-530.
- Siew Siang Chua, Li Ching Kok, Faridah Aryani Md Yusof, Guang Hui Tang,, Shaun Wen Huey Lee, Benny Effendie and Thomas Paraidathathu. 2012. Pharmaceutical care issues identified by pharmacists in patients with diabetes, hypertension or hyperlipidaemia in primary care settings. BMC Health Services Research 12:388 doi:10.1186/1472-6963-12-388.
- Thomas Paraidathathu, Chua Yau Li & Chua Siew Siang. 2012. Treatment of common cold by general practitioners in Malaysia. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sc. 4(4):479-481.
- Azuana Ramli, Nur Sufiza Ahmad & Thomas Paraidathathu. 2012. Medication adherence among hypertensive patients of primary health clinics in Malaysia. Patient Preference and Adherence 6: 613-622.
- Thomas Paraidaththu. 2012. Are Generic Medicines Effective? Journal of Surgical Academia 2(1):1
- Thomas Paraidathathu, Mohammad Fauzee Abdul Hamid, Jamia Azdina Jamal, Norazrina Azmi & Siew Siang Chua. 2012. Differences in self and preceptor assessment of the competencies of pharmacy graduates. Int. J. Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sc. 4(1):532-535.
- Siew Pheng Chan, William C. Chui, Kwok Wing Lo, Kuo-Chin Huang, Normita D. Leyesa, Wen-Yuan Lin, Roberto C. Mirasol, Yolanda R. Robles, Beng Hea Tey, Thomas Paraidathathu 2012. Consensus Statement: Appropriate Consumer Education and Communication Programs for Weight-Loss Agents. Asia Pac J Public Health 24( 4): 641-649.
- Ong Aik Liang & Thomas Paraidathathu . 2011. Feedback from Malaysian pharmacists who underwent a 3-year period of compulsory service with the government. Thai J. Pharm. Sci. 35:159-167.
- Thomas Paraidathathu, Jamia Azdina Jamal & Norazrina Azmi. 2011 Preceptor Assessment of the Competencies of Pharmacy Graduates Procedia Social & Behavioral Sciences 18(2011):134-137
- Jamia Azdina Jamal, Thomas Paraidathathu, & Norazrina Azmi. 2011.Knowledge and Attitudes of Pharmacy Students Regarding Traditional Medicines. Procedia Social & Behavioral Sciences 18(2011):464-472
- Shahrir Abdullah, Azian Abd Latiff, Thomas Paraidathathu, Azizah Jaafar, Wan Noorina Wan Ahmad, Safinaz Mohd Hussein & Sity Daud. 2011. Gap Analysis towards Harmonisation of the MQA Code of Practice for Programme Accreditation with the Quality Management System of MS ISO 9001:2008. Procedia Social & Behavioral Sciences 18(2011):436-441
- Azizah Jaafar, Shahrir Abdullah, Azian Abd Latiff, Thomas Paraidathathu, Wan Noorina Wan Ahmad, Narimah Abdullah, Sity Daud, Juhana Salim & Chan Siew Lee . 2011. Reliability of Student Feedback on the Course Teaching Evaluation System (CTES) and System Usability. Procedia Social & Behavioral Sciences 18(2011):24-32
- Community Pharmacy Practice in Malaysia. 2016. Chua Siew Siang, Mary Lee Hong Gee, Hoe See Leei, Thomas Paraidathathu. Publisher: University of Malaya Press.
- Training Manual for Pharmacists for Management of Obesity and Overweight. 2012 P.T. Thomas, Asrul Akmal Shafie, Chua Siew Siang, Mohamed Azmi Ahmad Hassali, Mohamad Haniki Nik Mohamed, Hasniza Zaman Huri, Lim Chin Choon, Chua Gin Nie & Yip Sook Ying. Publisher: Malaysian Pharmaceutical Society and Malaysian Academy of Pharmacy
- Pharmacy practice. Guide to Compounding and Dispensing. 2011. Shariza Sahudin, Rudy Rabi, Ng Shiow Fern, Thomas Paraidathathu. Publisher: Penerbit Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia.
Guest Lectures Delivered
- Plenary Speaker, “Improving Treatment Outcomes Through an Interprofessional Approach” International Conference on Pharmacy Practice, Yogyakarta, Indonesia, 2017.
- Plenary Speaker, “Benefits of a National Medicine Policy” INNOVATE- 16, Hyderabad, India, 2016.
- Plenary Speaker “Global Trends in Pharmacy Education” Pharma- Transpire, Kurnool, India, 2016.
- Plenary Speaker “Is a National Medicines Policy Useful?” ASEAN Pharmnet I Conference, Bangkok, Thailand, 2015.
- Invited Speaker “Barriers to Evidence-Based Practice in a Resource- limited Environment” FIP, Dusseldorf, Germany, 2015.
- Plenary Speaker “Pharmacy Education and Pharmacy Practice in Malaysia.” 1st Int. Pharmacy Practice Conference, Mahasarakham University, Thailand, 2014.
- Invited Speaker “Implementation of the WHO Patient Safety Module in a Pharmacy Curriculum”, FIP, Dublin, Ireland, 2013
- Plenary Speaker “Evolution of Pharmacy Education”, Malaysian Pharmaceutical Society, Pharmacy Scientific Conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2012
- Invited Speaker “Quality Control of Pharmacy Degrees”, WHO-FAPA Symposium, Yogjakarta, Indonesia, 2011.
- Invited Speaker “A QA system for pharmacy training in Malaysia”, Hanoi University of Pharmacy, Hanoi, Vietnam, 2011.
Awards & Honours
- Conferred the title of Emeritus Professor by Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia in November 2016.
- Teaching Excellence Award 2010, Faculty of Pharmacy, UKM.
- Recipient of a Fellowship from the World Health Organisation (WHO) in 1987 “To study the production, evaluation and safety of Traditional Medicines in Japan”.
- Awarded honorable mention for meritorious research by the Mechanisms Subsection, Society of Toxicology, USA, 1992.
- Recipient of “University of Texas, Graduate Fellowship”1990/1991 session.
- Recipient of the “Pat and Jack Maguire” Scholarship from the Ex- Students’ Association, University of Texas for the 1990/1991 session.
- Inducted into the Pharmacy Honor Society “Rho Chi” in 1983.
- Registered pharmacist with Malaysian Pharmacy Board
- Life member Malaysian Pharmaceutical Society
- Founding member Malaysian Academy of Pharmacy
- Life member Malaysian chapter of ISPOR